Thursday, January 24, 2013

Back for More!


       After two years, I am back! I'm not really sure what led to my abandoning this blog, but I imagine it was a number of things that in reality I can't even remember now. Over the weekend something strange happened to me: I went to log into my Facebook and was told in order to access my account, I'd need to upload a photo ID. For 6 days now I've had zero access to Facebook and it's been an interesting wake up call. Now, I'm not as obsessed with FB as many people out there are, but it's fair to say I am on it daily because I work from home. It's an easy way to keep up with friends and I love what many of my friends post. I know interesting people! And I feel as if those interesting people truly educate me and open my eyes to very interesting things! As much as I hate to admit it, I have definitely felt a bit of a void these past few days.

       Which leads me to this: as an alternative to Facebook, I've been revisiting many of the blogs that I haven't read for a long time. And they are written by-you guessed it-interesting people! People that I have no contact with on Facebook necessarily, but people who educate me and open my eyes to interesting things! So I'm back, ready to read again and ready to post again. AND since my last post, I have a much better phone/camera, so thankfully I can post much clearer and more enjoyable photos. My goal is still to post my fun finds and treasures and hopefully continue to offer you tips that will help with the restoration, upkeep, and care of your vintage items. I'm not an expert, but I can offer you what has worked for me over many years of trial and error. As for now though, I'd like to do a little recap of Christmas 2012 (my favorite time of year!).


      First of all, Hubby decided to go vintage blow-mold crazy this year for the holidays. He found himself an almost life-sized Santa:





     Then he found a set of three carolers (circa mid-1950's):





     Then of course he needed a Santa with reindeer for the roof of our house:





      And talk about serendipity! He'd been obsessed with blow-molds for a long time but they are very expensive to purchase on ebay or at the flea market, not to mention there's not many of them out there. And the ones we found were always in rough shape. Once the paint starts to peel and chip, they don't look as good when they're lit up. I went out of town for a few days and he sent me photos of ALL the aforementioned blow-molds via text. He'd found all of them in one weekend! Two at a garage sale and the sleigh and reindeer on Craig's List. He'd simply placed a want ad and a man responded. He pulled them out of his attic where they'd lived for 50 years and sold them to Hubby. Score! 

     Of course we had to have our annual holiday shin-dig too! I didn't get many pictures as usual, but here's a couple. This first one is Hubby with the dogs during the calm before the storm (note the perfectly placed crackers and cheese plate that have not been decimated yet):



    


       I was fortunate enough to find a fantastic blue Lurex dress for the occasion! And big thanks to Jamie for the photo of me wearing it!
                                                                                                                                                                                  We really just love having our friends over for a fun time and it's a great way to kick off the season. I also LOVE that our friends always show up dressed to the nines in their vintage finest! We've got some stylin' people in our lives...

      I also was able to attend a fabulous Mid-Century Potluck party thrown by my friend Karen. Everyone brought a mid-century dish and even the most "questionable" looking recipes were actually pretty tasty! I made a reindeer cut-up cake and thought it turned out pretty cute-I'm not much of a cook so I went for an easy but festive dessert:


   

      As usual, the holidays went by in a whirlwind of activity and I still feel like I'm recovering. I hope everyone out there had a wonderful holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment